The Ultimate Guide For Blackjack Rules
Blackjack, everyone has heard of it. It is definitely one of the most widely known casino games around the world. Even in the online gambling industry, it is hugely popular. To the average person, the game may seem easy at first, however, there are actually a lot of strategies involving the game that you need to be aware of and master before being a pro at the game.
The easiest way to describe blackjack is that blackjack is a game where your goal is to get your card values to be as close to 21 as possible without exceeding 21. The ultimate goal in this game is to beat the dealer. The typical way of playing blackjack is where you will be given two cards facing down, and the dealer will get two cards where one faces up and the other one faces down. With the card values, you are to try to get as close as you can to 21, of course getting 21 is ideal. Make sure not to exceed 21. Variations of blackjack do exist where the above rules are slightly different, but the rules mentioned above are the standard rules commonly used.
Value of Cards
The rule of thumb is that the card value that you see is the value of your points.
- King, Queen, and Jack have a value of 10 each
- Ace can have a value of either 1 or 11
- 2 to 10 gives you the value of its number
- Jokers in most variations are not played and are removed from the deck
- When you have an ace and it has a value of 11, it is known as a “soft hand”
- “Hard hand” is a hand that does not have an ace, but if an ace is dealt with that hand, it will have a value of 1
How is Blackjack played?
Blackjack is a game that involves probability, strategies, and luck. It is not too complicated to be understood. To start off, you will place your bet. You and other players at the table will then each be dealt two cards. You are allowed to look at your own cards. The dealer will also deal themselves two cards, one facing down and another one facing up.
After this has been done, you have a lot of actions that you can choose to take. Depending on the cards you are dealt, you can:
- Stand. This is where you are satisfied with the cards you have, and you let the dealer know you do not want any additional cards.
- Double down. You let the dealer know that you want to double your initial bet and receive only one more card.
- Hit. You aren’t satisfied with your cards and want to try getting closer to 21, “hitting” means that the dealer will deal you another card.
- Bust. Your card values have exceeded 21 and you are out.
- Split. This move can be made if you have been dealt with two cards with the same value. By splitting, you will split your two cards into two different hands, and you continue playing with both hands. One hand is played at a time but in certain cases, this might be able to double your chances of winning.
- Insurance. If the dealer’s card that is facing up happens to be an ace, players will be asked if they want to take the insurance bet. An insurance bet is a side bet independent from the initial bet made, players are basically betting that the dealer’s other card has a value of 10. It is called insurance because the player is insuring their bet against the possibility of the dealer’s blackjack.
- Surrender. Some variations of blackjack might not offer this option. This move is done when you choose not to play your hand and you tell the dealer that you surrender. Half of your initial bet will be lost and the other half you can keep.
With this guide, you can now hit the tables and start winning in blackjack. Just don’t forget to have fun while you are at it!
Read more about Blackjack in the links below: